New South Wales Public Holidays 2017
This page contains a calendar of all 2017 New South Wales public holidays. Please scroll down to view.
New South Wales public holidays are provided for by a state law called the Public Holidays Act 2010. This law sets out the 11 standard public holidays given to people in New South Wales – though the number of applicable public holidays is really 9, since many people don’t benefit from the official Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday holidays the Act sets out. (These 2 Easter holidays do greatly impact workers in cafes and restaurants, though, who get paid penalty rates if they work on these days).
The NSW public holidays set out in the Act are listed in the tables below. Some other key points contained in this law are:
- The designated Minister of the state government can declare additional public holidays for any given year, by publishing the announcement on the NSW legislation website a minimum of 7 days beforehand.
- Employees are entitled to be absent from work on a public holiday according to Section 114 of the Fair Work Act 2009
- Employees are entitled to pay while absent from work on public holidays, provided they meet the criteria set out in Section 116 of the Fair Work Act 2009.
- The designated Minister can declare special Local Event days at the request of local councils if the day is deemed to be of special significance to the community. These Local Event days are not official public holidays and employees are not entitled to be absent, to be paid while absent, or for penalty rates.
- This Act of 2010 replaces the original Bank and Bank Holidays Act 1912.
Public Holidays 2017
This list has been updated to reflect the official dates released by the NSW Government.
|1 Jan||Sun||New Year's Day|
|2 Jan||Mon||New Year's Day
|26 Jan||Thu||Australia Day|
|14 Apr||Fri||Good Friday|
|15 Apr||Sat||Easter Saturday|
|16 Apr||Sun||Easter Sunday|
|17 Apr||Mon||Easter Monday|
|25 Apr||Tue||Anzac Day|
|12 Jun||Mon||Queen's Birthday|
|2 Oct||Mon||Labour Day|
|25 Dec||Mon||Christmas Day|
|26 Dec||Tue||Boxing Day|
Visit nsw.gov.au for the original release.
National weekend destinations trending right now:
Mallacoota is a tiny town that is located in the East Gippsland region of Victoria. The town is situated next to Bass Strait.
Torquay is a seaside town in the state of Victoria. This spectacular location is known for its impressive views of turquoise waters and sheer cliffs.