New South Wales Public Holidays 2017Today – 27 May 2017 – is not a holiday in New South Wales.
This page contains a calendar of all 2017 public holidays for New South Wales. These dates may be modified as official changes are announced, so please check back regularly for updates.
|1 Jan||Sun||New Year's Day|
|2 Jan||Mon||New Year Holiday|
|26 Jan||Thu||Australia Day|
|14 Apr||Fri||Good Friday|
|15 Apr||Sat||Easter Saturday|
|16 Apr||Sun||Easter Sunday|
|17 Apr||Mon||Easter Monday|
|25 Apr||Tue||Anzac Day|
|12 Jun||Mon||Queen's Birthday|
|2 Oct||Mon||Labour Day|
|25 Dec||Mon||Christmas Day|
|26 Dec||Tue||Boxing Day|
Visit nsw.gov.au for the original release.
New South Wales public holidays are provided for by a state law called the Public Holidays Act 2010. This law sets out the 11 standard public holidays given to people in New South Wales – however the number of applicable public holidays is really 9 since many people don’t benefit from the official Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday holidays the Act sets out.
Some other key points contained in this law are:
- The designated Minister of the state government can declare additional public holidays for any given year, by publishing the announcement on the NSW legislation website a minimum of 7 days beforehand.
- Employees are entitled to be absent from work on a public holiday according to Section 114 of the Fair Work Act 2009
- Employees are entitled to pay while absent from work on public holidays, provided they meet the criteria set out in Section 116 of the Fair Work Act 2009.
- The designated Minister can declare special Local Event days at the request of local councils if the day is deemed to be of special significance to the community. These Local Event days are not official public holidays and employees are not entitled to be absent, to be paid while absent, or for penalty rates.
- This Act of 2010 replaces the original Bank and Bank Holidays Act 1912.
Lightning Ridge is an iconic mining town in New South Wales. While Australia has many mines, this town is situated on a massive deposit of…
Broken Hill is a mining town in the Far West region of New South Wales. Surrounded by hundreds of kilometres of open desert, enjoy the…
The best old – and ancient! – famous travel quotes to inspire your next holiday adventure
These travel quotes are from people over the centuries and millennia who knew the immense value of travel. We hope…
Experience the Floating Markets of Thailand
Shopping is a popular pastime in Thailand and massive malls and street markets can be found in virtually every part…
Relax on Malaysia’s Best Beaches
The nation of Malaysia is blessed with stunning tropical weather and intense natural beauty, making this the perfect destination for…
Discover Australia’s two longest passenger train routes
Travelling by train is a fantastic way to explore Australia. The country boasts a number of very efficient train services…
Why the date of Easter changes every year
Easter ranks among the most prominent holidays in the western world, and is considered by many to be the most…