New South Wales Public Holidays 2017
This page contains a calendar of all 2017 New South Wales public holidays. Please scroll down to view.
New South Wales public holidays are provided for by a state law called the Public Holidays Act 2010. This law sets out the 11 standard public holidays given to people in New South Wales – though the number of applicable public holidays is really 9, since many people don’t benefit from the official Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday holidays the Act sets out. (These 2 Easter holidays do greatly impact workers in cafes and restaurants, though, who get paid penalty rates if they work on these days).
The NSW public holidays set out in the Act are listed in the tables below. Some other key points contained in this law are:
- The designated Minister of the state government can declare additional public holidays for any given year, by publishing the announcement on the NSW legislation website a minimum of 7 days beforehand.
- Employees are entitled to be absent from work on a public holiday according to Section 114 of the Fair Work Act 2009
- Employees are entitled to pay while absent from work on public holidays, provided they meet the criteria set out in Section 116 of the Fair Work Act 2009.
- The designated Minister can declare special Local Event days at the request of local councils if the day is deemed to be of special significance to the community. These Local Event days are not official public holidays and employees are not entitled to be absent, to be paid while absent, or for penalty rates.
- This Act of 2010 replaces the original Bank and Bank Holidays Act 1912.
Public Holidays 2017
This list has been updated to reflect the official dates released by the NSW Government.
|1 Jan||Sun||New Year's Day|
|2 Jan||Mon||New Year's Day
|26 Jan||Thu||Australia Day|
|14 Apr||Fri||Good Friday|
|15 Apr||Sat||Easter Saturday|
|16 Apr||Sun||Easter Sunday|
|17 Apr||Mon||Easter Monday|
|25 Apr||Tue||Anzac Day|
|12 Jun||Mon||Queen's Birthday|
|2 Oct||Mon||Labour Day|
|25 Dec||Mon||Christmas Day|
|26 Dec||Tue||Boxing Day|
Visit nsw.gov.au for the original release.
New South Wales weekend destinations trending right now:
Bouddi National Park
Located in the lovely Central Coast region of New South Wales, Bouddi National Park is one of Australia's well-hidden natural treasures.
Lord Howe Island
47shares Less than two hours to the south of Sydney by plane, Lord Howe Island is an idyllic paradise for people who wish to explore some of the city’s nearby … 47shares
Latest news from publicholidays.global
Discover Australia’s two longest passenger train routes
Travelling by train is a fantastic way to explore Australia. The country boasts a number of very efficient train services…
Why the date of Easter changes every year
Easter ranks among the most prominent holidays in the western world, and is considered by many to be the most…